Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Superman / Batman #73 - DC

This book has me a little confused, right now. I'm not sure what Lex Luthor is up to. He's been using his planetary telescope to track Superman's adventures in space. When he comes across a planet that suffers from the wake of one of Superman's fights, he see's an opening. Basically, he wants to turn these people against Superman . . because of what he's done to their planet. And then set himself up as their Prometheus . . providing them with fire, and electricity . . setting himself up as their god. And he's set up a method of programming them that will take effect over the next few centuries. At first I thought he was planning on going there himself, but . . I don't think he is. I think he's just sending gadgets and such, and probably providing an image, or effigy of himself. Now, the part that has me confused is . . while all of this is going on, Lex appears to be building a Superman cult right here in Metropolis. They're the guys that captured Lois last issue. They've been instructed to make her pay for her traitorous behaviour towards Superman, by marrying Clark Kent instead of their idol. Of course Batman and Superman show up in the nick of time to save her neck. And then the 3 of them pursue the background of this group's leader, Henry Franks. It's interesting to see that they all come to pretty much the same conclusions, just through different methods. When the group gets together again, they're all there to stop them. But it doesn't seem to have affected Luthor's overall plan. So, I'm not really sure what the purpose of all this was. Was it just a distraction? Or was it some kind of failed experiment? Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for the next issue to find out. I thought Paul Levitz did a good job with this story. Even if it hasn't all come together for me, just yet. And Jerry Ordway does a painted style of art for this issue. I thought it looked fantastic. I really like this book. And I'm glad that it's still going strong. Even after all of this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment