Sunday, June 27, 2010

Birds of Prey #2 - DC

This first story-arc seems to be set up to show us that we aren't dealing with the same 'ol Birds of Prey here. This isn't just a continuation of the old series. Last issue Dinah and Helena were confronted by the White Canary. We don't know who she is, or her origin, but . . I'm sure that'll be coming. However, we find out this issue that's she's just a part of a very elaborate plan to discredit the Birds, and it's various members, and to force Oracle to change her methods of operation. They start out fighting, but this is really all just a stalling tactic. While that's going on, there's a news-story talking about how Dinah was responsible for a man's death on her recent trip to Iceland. And while that's happening . . police and news choppers are converging on their scene. By this time Hawk & Dove, and Zindy have also joined the fray. Of course they don't know what's going on, so . . they have no other choice but to confront the police so that they can get away and figure out what this is all about. Further escalating their their new 'outlaw' motif. And, don't forget, all of this started when the White Canary attacked Oswald Cobblepot. So when they try to drag him off to safety, they also look like they're consorting or protecting a known felon. The chips just keep stacking up against them. Also, to add insult to injury, Oracle gets a call from Creote. 'We were attacked by a woman. She . . she said we were guilty by association. Association with you, Oracle. You and your . . team.' Savant is dead. And for some reason, Creote decides to blow his own brains out. But . . all of that just gives Barbara some new resolve. 'Okay, I know what's happening. They're using our tools against us. Canary's fists . . my brain. They're using the grid against us. Five years ago, I was so far ahead of normal tech, no one could touch me. I got complacent. I let the machines do my work. No more tears. Not 'til I find out who did this to us. But whatever their weapons, whatever their tech . . they don't understand. I am the grid. It exists because I allow it. And tonight . . the grid fights back.' Just as a side-note . . I think . . this White Canary? I think it's Sin. You remember, the little girl that Dinah almost adopted. Something's been done to her . . or something. But somehow . . I think this is her. It's just a hunch. I don't have any proof. But . . we'll see. This was a fantastic issue by Gail Simone and Ed Benes. The story and art were both equally incredible. This always was one of my favorite books, but . . it seems like Gail's taking things to a whole new level this time. I can't wait to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment