Sunday, June 27, 2010

Joker's Asylum II: the Mad Hatter #1 - DC

I thought this was an interesting story, by Landry Quinn Walker. But . . all it really did was show us just how crazy the Mad-Hatter was. He appears to be trying to rehabilitate. He's keeping to himself. And he keeps telling himself . . 'Don't drink the tea!' Apparently he likens himself, and his life, to that of Alice in Wonderland. And obvious connection. And it appears that he's trying to express himself by writing a story. A story not unlike the Alice fable. However, what I don't think he even realizes is that not only is he writing the story, but he's trying to superimpose it onto his own life. As he keeps looking for someone to fill the role of Alice. Like I said, he seems to be on the road to recovery. But we find out later that it's really just an endless cycle. He probably feels guilty. He goes out and looks for someone that fills the role of Alice for him. Mostly on looks. But then when the reality hits . . name, personality, any other number of factors . . something he usually doesn't find out until after he captures them . . then he has to drink the tea, return to his Mad-Hatter role, and dispose of the 'fake' Alice. We see as this 'therapy' escalates that he kills her and stashes her away with the last 4 or 5 that he's captured. Like I said, it appears to be a cycle that he keeps going through. And the definition of insane? 'Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.' This guy definitely fits that bill. Although I thought it was a good portrayal . . and gave us a pretty thorough picture into his psychosis . . I also thought it was a bit over the top. I enjoyed it, but . . by the end, you could see what was coming. It was one of those stories that you wanted to finish reading, but . . at the same time you just wanted it to be over. Keith Giffen and Bill Sienkiewicz did a good job with the art. And I loved Bill's cover. This one definitely wasn't one of my favorite stories. But . . it was ok.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you o the cover, but not on the art. I liked it for the first couple of pages, but eventually it got hard to fallow.
    I wanted Mad Hatter to be more like the villain he is, instead of him not trying to be the Mad Hatter, I would have liked it if the story was about him as the Mad Hatter. All the stories of Joker's Asylum II are about the villain trying to change their ways and then becoming a villain again. I want something new, I have 1 to go (Clay Face) and I hope it's different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Which is why I didn't particularly like this issue. I also agree with you on the art. Obviously Keith did the layouts, with Bill doing the finishes. That seems to be what he does on the interiors now. But I feel like the chaos of the art reflected the anarchy of the story. They both were hard to follow, and they both seemed kind of 'out of whack'.

    ReplyDelete