Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Nemesis: the Impostors #4 - DC

I thought Nemesis was a decent character. Even back in the beginning, the early 80's, when he was created by Cary Burkett and Dan Spiegle. But in these last 2 mini-series, by Ivan Brandon and Cliff Richards . . they've really expanded upon his character and turned him into quite the enigma. This issue helps to bring together the first 3 of this series, but . . it still raises a bunch of question. It turns out that through this series, Nemesis has been after a criminal organization, the Council and it's apparent founder, and leader, Senator Andrew Bell. But there's also been other forces at work. Such as OMAC and the Electric City. We still don't know what they're connection to this whole thing was. And . . it appears that someone else has been posing as Tom . . taken over his life. Which, I would guess, is why they've been keeping such a close tab on him. This other guy doesn't want Tom messing up whatever it is that he's planning on doing. However, we have no idea who this guy is. For some reason, I got in my head that Tom mentioned something about a brother this issue. If so, that may be who he is, because he looks just like him. However, I'm leaning towards . . Everyman. You know, that guy who impersonated Ollie for so long. I'm thinking that he moved on to Tom's life. And if that's so . . I recall that in order to assume someone's identity he actually has to consume a piece of that person. So maybe, all these flashes and memories that he doesn't understand . . maybe he's actually seeing the other guys memories. That's would explain why he doesn't understand them, or that everything is so confusing. Anyways, at the end of this issue, when Tom has captured the Senator and it taking him in with all the evidence that he's gathered . . Tom is confronted by this 'other' him. And after beating Tom unconscious, the 'fake' Nemesis makes a video of himself killing the Senator. By the time Batman and the police arrive, the 'fake' one is long gone, and Tom is left holding the bag. I mean, how is he going to argue with a video of himself? But, later when Batman comes to visit him in the prison, he tells Batman that he's found a kind of peace here. And he thinks to himself, 'The day the Senator died, I stopped seeing the Electric City. I stopped seeing OMAC and Brother Eye. That minute, knowing what'd happened, knowing what the consequences would be . .believe it or not, it filled me with calm. My head is now clear.' He's amazed that Batman is still trying to help him, but . . whatever comes next he thinks he has to handle alone. 'Someone put me here. I'm right where they want me to be. They've been watching me the whole time. Maybe they're watching me now. Can you hear me? Because I'm not going anywhere. I'm not trying to escape. So come and get me.' Of course, those comments aren't going to convince Batman that he's any less crazy. And, while some questions are answered, it really just opens up and sets us up for the next series. Which I'm sure won't be to far down the line. I thought this was an interesting series. A bit confusing, but . . I think it's supposed to be that way. If you haven't read it, you should pick up this TPB and the Escape! mini-series . . which I'm sure is also in TPB, and read them. Together, preferably. It'll still be confusing, but . . less so. And really, I think, the point of all of this is the further development of his character. He's definitely unlike any other 'hero', or 'detective', out there. Plus I think this story will help to set him apart from say . . Peacemaker, or Vigilante. He's definitely in a class of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment