Sunday, June 27, 2010

the Shield #10 - DC

Well . . this appears to be the final issue of this title. I'm not sure why. I thought it was interesting. It's the closest thing DC has to a 'war' book. But . . I guess it probably just wasn't selling enough. Plus . . next month the New Crusaders title comes out, with the Shield as one of the characters on the team, so . . I guess he's not going away completely. To me, what I liked about this book . . not just this issue, but the entire series . . is the way that Eric Trautmann approached the stories. His detail and intricate explanations of the military maneuvers and aspects of the Shield's situations, seemed unparalleled. I believed that he knew what he was talking about. And I believed the escalation and outcome of the events portrayed. I guess it was just nice seeing a character that was so structured and 'together'. Yes he was a soldier, doing what he was told. But . . he was growing into his character as the Shield, and adjusting to the capabilities of the war-suit which became his new personality. Also, I thought that Marco Rudy has been doing a terrific job with the art. He's almost got a JH Williams III quality and style to his work on this series. It looks fantastic. Anyways, this issue wraps up the Gunslinger story-line. I thought it was interesting, and had more than a few cool twists. I just hope this character carries over well into the team book. I liked his appearances in Magog. But . . they're both soldiers. In the Crusaders he'll be teaming up with 'super-heroes'. I'm not sure that it'll be a good fit. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment