Wednesday, June 30, 2010

the Flash #3 - DC

This is another book that I think is developing a great feel to it. Obviously, in the previous years, I've become a big Wally West fan. I mean, there wasn't really anything to compare him to . . Barry's been gone for so long. But now . . now Barry's back. And already it's becoming apparent why he's the original . . and in my opinion, the best Flash of them all. And there's a bunch of them right now. I know Johnny Lightning appears to have fallen to the Reverse-Flash, but . . when it comes to this family of heroes . . don't ever count anyone out. You just don't ever know. One of the things I love so much about Geoff Johns writing is the little subtle hints that he puts in his stories. In this issue, while the Renegades are pursuing the Flash, the Top lets it slip that if they could get Iris . . I assume he means 'get her' to protect her . . he says that if they could get her they could avoid all of this trouble. So I assume, the reason the Flash goes after the Mirror Monarch, in 84 days, is because he does something to Iris. Plus, only something that dreadful could make Barry, or anyone, break their own personal code. But . . I'm just filling in the blanks. We're going to have to wait and see. Which is another thing I love about Geoff's writing, because . . you just never really know what's going to happen. Just when you think you have it all figured out . . he throws some kind of twist in there. So . . we'll see. So there's a couple of plot-threads in the works this issue. Obviously we've got the Renegades and the Flash, but Barry's also set on pursuing these cold cases that the Dept seems to have forgotten about. And, while all of that is occurring . . we can't forget . . and Geoff won't let us . . we can't forget that Digger Harkness, Captain Boomerang is back. And . . he's changed. First of all we don't know why the White Light brought him back in the first place, but . . it appears that either than energy, or his brush with the Black Lantern rings has given him the power to generate his boomerangs at will. He doesn't need to physically have them any more. They appear to be the manifestation of some kind of energy. And . . they go 'BOOM!!'. I don't know if that's the only trick he can do with them, but . . right now, he can make them blow up. At the end of this issue, after breaking out of Iron Heights, he busts the Flash loose from the Renegades hold. Apparently he wants to know what he missed while he was gone. So next issue we'll get that classic confrontation between the Flash and Captain Boomerang. I'm sure they've both got a lot of questions for each other. This was a great issue. I can't wait to read the next one. I do have to say though . . I'm not completely sold on Francis Manapul's art on this series. Don't get me wrong, the guy's definitely talented. I just don't know that his style is right for this book. It seems to be growing on me, but . . very slowly. But . . that's just me. Also that beautiful variant cover is by Greg Horn.

No comments:

Post a Comment