Sunday, April 11, 2010

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 - Marvel

I picked this book up for two reasons. One, because it's a SHIELD book. I've really been enjoying the Secret Warriors book, so . . if this is an extension, or definition of that . . I had to give it a shot. And secondly . . because Jonathan Hickman is writing it. I've really been impressed with this guys writing. So much so that I wanted to see what kind of original thoughts or ideas that this book might contain. To start out with, this book comes with two fantastic covers. The one on the right pictures our lead character, Leonid. It's brilliantly painted by Gerald Parel. The lower one is the alternative cover by Dustin Weaver. It could be argued that this is actually our main character as this cover depicts the return of Leonardo Da Vinci. Although a lot of this secret organization that's been around since 2620 BC, revolves around Leonardo, he's not the actual leader. I think he's just one of it's greatest innovators. The actual organization started with what looks like an invasion by the Brood. It's held back by an army of Egyptian warriors and their illustrious leader, Imhotep. His essence and character is what really defines and drives this group. This issue is set in 1953 when Leonid is brought in to the group. He's told the history of it, and shown some of it's greatest members . . Zhang Heng, Leonardo, Galileo. He's also shown some of it's greatest challenges . . the Brood, the Celestials, Galactus. But it's his mysterious father that really seems to open the doors for him. He's called the Night Machine. We don't know who he is, yet, but it's interesting that when he comes to liberate his son, he's met by agents Richards and Stark. This issue gives us the history of the real SHIELD. The one that's apparently been around since the dawn of man. It's very informative. But it leaves us with a whole lot more questions that answers. But that's ok. I think that'll be the fun of this book . . digging in to, and revealing all of that. I have a feeling that we're going to be getting a lot more startling revelations as this story proceeds. Like I said, we get a lot of information this issue, but . . I think it's only the tip of the iceberg. I really enjoyed this book. And Jonathan definitely left me wanting more. I also thought that Dustin Weaver did a fantastic job with the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment