Sunday, April 25, 2010

the Brave and the Bold #33 - DC

I thought this was a great issue. I just love J Michael Straczynski's writing. It took me about half way through to figure out what was going on, but when I did . . the story turned kind of somber for me. But . . that was the intention. Basically what happens is . . Zatanna has a dream and decides that she needs to arrange a 'Ladies' night. So she gathers up Diana and Barbara and forces them to take a night off and enjoy the town. Which they do. But it's after some clubbing, when they're winding down in a diner, that I started putting the pieces together. Diana is looking a little melancholy and she tells Babs that she's thinking about the Greek Oracles . . women who could tell the future. First of all, that's when I realized this story actually takes place before she became Oracle. I know . . I'm a little slow sometimes. But then I also realize that they were giving her a not to subtle hint. Sure there was the Oracle of Delphi. Probably the most famous one . . she could see the future, but her curse was that if she told anyone about it, or tried to change it, it would only make matters worse. But then there were other Oracles who provided information. 'They did more than just prophesy, they read the signs of the times. Listened to reports from distant lands. And were absolutely vital to kings and others who needed advice about the world around them.' Does that sound like a job that a certain 'so & so' does now? Anyways, it turns out that Zatanna had a vision, or dream, much like Delphi. It included the future of Barbara, but . . she didn't know when exactly it would happen. So she just wanted to give her a night out that she could remember having a good time and dancing. She also gave her some advice to cross the bridge between her and her father and spend as much time with him as possible. And she does. Soon afterwards he's at her house having dinner, and there's a knock at the door. It's the Joker. And we all know what happens next. I thought it was an interesting story before I put the pieces together. But after, it became a much more emotional one. It was a story as only JMS could've told. I thought it was a brilliant perspective, and excellently expressed. I also enjoyed Cliff Chiang's art. It made the whole thing seem a little more light-hearted. Even when you knew that she was ultimately doomed. It also sports a beautiful cover by Jesus Saiz. Now . . I have some bad news. There's only 2 more issues for this solicited. I already know that JMS is heading over to one of the Superman titles. So . . I'm not sure what the future of this series is after that. It doesn't say that it's the final issue, so . . I'm hoping that it's just taking a couple of months off, much in the way of the Titans book. Maybe it'll come back after Batman's return, and return itself to being a Batman team-up book. I'm just speculating. I have no idea. All I know is that this book has had a great run and I'd hate to see it go away. If I find out more information . . I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment