Sunday, April 25, 2010

the Amazing Spider-man #628 - Marvel

I'm sorry but I just haven't been overly thrilled with this book of late. This issue Spidey goes up against a new Captain Universe. Ok, granted the guy has been newly chosen for his position . . he doesn't have a lot of experience with his powers, but . . this guys got a whole different level of power that 'ol Petey. Plus, we've already seen that he's knocked out the Juggernaut. So what does our angst ridden hero do? He starts batting around with this guy like a horse-fly on a mare's ass. He knows he doesn't stand a chance against him in a 'one-on-one' fight, but . . I guess he's just hoping to keep him busy long enough that 'ol Juggy will come to and take care of him himself. Well that, and he's trying not to get his head taken off. Well . . Juggy does eventually show up, but . . Captain Universe has headed underground because he and Spidey felt some tremors and I guess he can fix the tectonic plates with his powers. But . . he does come back. The story end with Juggy palming both of their heads like over-ripe melons, but Captain Universe still insists that he has him right where he wants him. I don't know. The whole story seemed kind of contrived to me. I just had a hard time buying it. And yes I realize these are comic book stories so there is some artistic license due. But this seemed even more inconceivable than normal. I guess we'll have to wait until next issue to see how it all wraps up, and hopefully find out what it's all about. I struggled with this one. It's by Roger Stern and Lee Weeks. The back-up story seemed like a more normal Peter Parker story. He's broke, he has no job, and he's just about out of web-fluid. A typical Spider-man story. The only difference here is that now he's black-listed. But that's what Spidey always does. He always hits bottom before bouncing back. Mark Waid and Tom Peyer wrote it, with some fantastic art by Todd Nauck. I love Todd's stuff. So anyways, this story ended for me much better than it started. But . . that's the way it goes, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment