Sunday, April 18, 2010

Doc Savage #1 - DC

This book was . . ok. I wasn't overly thrilled with it. Although, I have to say, I'm coming in to it kind of cold. I know of Doc Savage's character, but . . I've never really followed him. I have the couple of mini-series that he's been in for DC, but that's about the extent of it. In fact when I started reading this issue, I found myself comparing it, and him, to Tom Strong. That's really the only thing I have to base this type of book on. Anyways, Paul Malmont writes it, and this issue he starts off by introducing us to a majority of Doc's supporting cast. Actually, they're all introduced to us through tragedy, as someone is striking out at Doc and anything and everything connected to him. He just doesn't know who it is as he, and everything, is being hit by lightning strikes. Not the kind of attack that he, or anyone else was expecting. Doc's coming home from a recent adventure in Africa and all of this starts happening as he's approaching the city. Howard Porter and Art Thibert do the art. There's also a Justice Inc back-up story. It too, I thought, was just ok. It's written by Jason Starr and drawn by Scott Hampton. It too was done as a crime-drama story. But it just seemed to lack that 'edge'. I don't know. It's only the first issue. So it's a little hard to judge off of this one view. I stuck with the Spirit for quite a while . . even though I thought it was boring. So, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens here. For now though . . I'd suggest waiting for the TPB.

No comments:

Post a Comment