Sunday, April 18, 2010

Batgirl #9 - DC

To me . . this book just gets better and better with every issue. Stephanie is turning out to be a great character. And I really love the rapport between her and Babs. Even Wendy is starting to grow on me. Her character seems to develop just a little bit more with every issue. On the cover, the story is called FLOOD! I assumed it was going to be kind of like the Earthquake storyline that ran through the Bat-books a couple of years ago. But this one, I think, is actually going to be about the Calculator. He's back. And he's still after Oracle for what she stole from him . . Wendy. He starts out by attacking Elysium Tech. It's a firm in Gotham that's got a lot of procured technology from Apokolips. That's what the Calculator tried to use the first time to 'fix' Wendy, so that she wouldn't be paralyzed. So it appears that now he's trying to gather up some more. He attacks the place twice before Babs finally puts it together. On the final page we see the Calculator in his hideout, performing the usual verbal cursory of Oracle. But it's also interesting to note that he's got his other sibling there . . the dead body of Marvin. I think that this guy may have gone more than a little over the edge. I have to say, so far I've been quite impressed with Bryan Q Miller's stories. I think he's doing a great job here. And I really like the way he's handling these characters. My only question is . . Birds of Prey . . one of my favorite books is finally coming back. I see Black Canary, Huntress, Lady Blackhawk, and even Hawk & Dove on the cover. But what about Batgirl . . and Wendy? They're not going to be a part of this group? And if not . . is Babs still going to be mentoring them? There's so many unanswered questions. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. By the way, I also enjoyed Lee Garbett's art. He's also improving with every issue. And of course, there's the beautiful cover by Stanley Lau. What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment