Sunday, April 11, 2010

Jonah Hex #54 - DC

I really like this book. I'm not a huge fan of Jordi Bernet's art, but . . I think the book has a really good look and feel to it. Jordi's style definitely gives it the right look for the era. And Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti have done a great job of keeping the tone and feel of the stories consistent with the time they're writing about. And . . Jonah is a fantastic character. Now that we've got 50 or so issues behind us, we're starting to see some of the periphery characters carry over from issue to issue . . or from previous stories. Yes the 'west' was a vast area, but . . if you think about it, there really wasn't near the amount of people living out there then, as there is now. The odds of them running into each other more than once were much higher than they would be now. Anyways, the story this issue is about some guy who's trying to swindle this town and it's bank. He get's his brother hired as the sheriff, and then he sets up for the bank to be robbed. His plan for for his brother to catch the robbers. Since he hired them, he'd know where they'd be holed up. Then when he save the town and recovered the loot, they'd get a percentage from the bank . . free and clear. But, you know what they say about the best laid plans. Jonah shows up, looking for the bounty, and . . everything falls apart from there. Jonah hadn't even put it all together, but then the Sheriff-killer shows up. He knows Jonah from when Jonah saved his life as a kid. He's put the thing together, and he slips into town and takes out the Sheriff. You know, because of his name . . 'Sheriff-killer'. Anyways, things get all turned around and basically everything gets blamed on Jonah. I thought it was an interesting story. With a couple of twists. And I still can't believe that I enjoy reading a 'western' this much.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the goos work on this site
    i print your reviews by the stack
    and give to my friends

    you have many of them trying
    books they would never buy

    this book is a great example of that

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for the typo above
    good should be good

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I'm all about. I'll try anything. Some I like, some I don't. But I'll give anything a shot. Plus . . I just LOVE!!!! comic books.

    ReplyDelete