Sunday, July 18, 2010

Batman - Odyssey #1 - DC

My first impression of this book was what I had seen in the previews that have been posted in the back of the DC books for the last couple of months. And I have to tell you . . I was a bit concerned. First of all, I'm thrilled that Neal Adams is back writing and drawing this character. And it's nice to see that Continuity Studios is still in existence. Even though nothing has come out from them in quite a while. On a side-bar . . with everyone buying up all of these old characters from these defunct companies, why isn't anyone buying up any of the Continuity Characters. They had some great stuff, with a lot of potential. I'm just wondering. Anyways . . I was thrilled to see Neal back, but . . I was also concerned about all the gun usage in the preview. Batman has always been a character that's stayed away from guns. I just didn't' want to see him reverted to this. But . . this is a story of one of Batman's . . er, Bruce's first adventures. At this point I think he's more Bruce dressing up than actually becoming the character. He's trying out a lot of different stuff. And making a lot of mistakes. As he's telling Dick this story, I think he's reflecting back on how guns were one of those first mistakes. Even though his intentions weren't to kill or maim . . only defense. I think he realized rather quickly how just their presence altered the outcome and feel of a given situation. Anyways, somehow this story is related to that first adventure. And we also have a story brewing with Kirk Langstrom and a hidden part of the caves. I'm sure that one will be unfolding over the course of the series. Needless to say, Neal's art and story were perfection. Even with the slight political undertone to things, I love this guys work. And out of all the work, and characters, he's done . . I always thought the Batman was where he seemed most at home. Although, he did do a mean Superman also. I can't wait to see this series unfold, and Neal's reinterpretation of one of the characters he helped make so popular back in the 70's. It's nostalgic and fresh, all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment