Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thirt3en - Graphic Novel - 2000 AD / DC Comics

Honestly . . I picked up this book completely on a lark. I haven't bought a graphic novel in a very long time. A seriously long time. But as I was perusing E-Bay, I came across this from one of the sellers I usually buy from, and ended up picking it up for only 99 cents. Seriously . . how could I pass that up? Plus . . since it's by Mike Carey and Andy Clarke . . it's a pretty safe bet that it would be a decent book. As it turns out . . it was interesting. The guy you see on the cover is Joe. He's a low-level telepath. With a little tk thrown in. Anyways, there's this alien race that's been monitoring any human telepaths they can find. Basically, they're a servant race. We find out that our world . . well, the world that Joe lives on, was actually built by a telepathically powerful alien race. Well . . they provided the plans and the equipment, the other aliens, the servant class . . they're the ones that actually built it. So, long story short . . after building these planets for eons, these servants decided it was time for one of their own, so . . they stole this one. The servant aliens have been monitoring the telepaths because that's how the will have to come back . . they'll have to use the mind and body of their host and make their way to the planet's core. Since thier race has been dead for billions of years, they've placed their memories . . their essence in these mnemonic devices . . beads. Joe happened across one, and that's how this all got started. Along the way, Joe gets the girl . . kind of. He ends up being helped, and befriended by an Asian telepath, Daksha. She actually is more adept and powerful than he is. But . . he's got the bead, so he's tied in with the warrior . . Arden. Overall, I thought it was a good story. Unfortunately, just before reading this, I just got done watching Inglorious Bastards, so . . I don't know if my mind was in the right place for it. But . . I did think it was interesting, and . . unique. And in the end . . it was definitely worth the 99 cents I paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment