Sunday, July 25, 2010

the Spirit #4 - DC

This is another book that I'm not overly thrilled with, but . . I did think it was interesting that David Hine wrote the story for this issue. And, again . . don't get me wrong. Overall, I think this is a good character, and a good series. I guess it's just not my cup of tea. This time it's all about drugs. There's a new drug in town, Frost, and it seems to be sweeping the neighborhoods. The problem is, there are a lot of people OD'ing on this stuff. It's hard to run a business if your clientele keeps disappearing. But there are a few interesting twists in this issue. First of all, we see first hand just how far Dolan's influence goes in this town. In this series, it appears that Dolan, as well as most of the PD are on the take. And while he has considerable influence, because of his relationship with the gangs, when he sends a message to Octopus, it still has to go through a couple of different channels before it gets to him. So, no matter what he thinks, he's not the almighty . . yet. Also, near the end, the girls decide that they're going to try to help the Spirit keep their neighborhood clean. But the youngest ones do it from a distance. Ebony gets up close and personal. Which really pisses off one of the bosses . . Kass. The issue ends with him giving Ebony a syringe of pure Frost. It appears that she's going to OD, and die in the streets. I have to admit, I enjoyed David influence on this book a little more than I thought I would. I think he wrote a pretty compelling story here. Moritat also rose to the occasion and turned in some terrific art. I'd have to say, this is probably the best issue so far. I also enjoyed the Black & White story in the back by Marv Wolfman and Phil Windslade. Although, not as much as the main story. If the book keeps going in this direction, it would definitely be a plus.

2 comments:

  1. I read the first issue and never got around to reading #'s 2-3 could I read four and still know what is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It's a new story-line with Steve Niles. Really the only thing I got out of the first 3 issues is that we were introduced to these girls that seem to have their ear to the ground.

    ReplyDelete