Saturday, July 31, 2010

the Flash #4 - DC

I'm enjoying Geoff Johns' story here, but . . I'm not sure that I'm exactly thrilled with Francis Manapul's art. And, I'm not ragging on the guy. He definitely has talent. I just don't know that his style is suited for this title. I don't know. Maybe it just has to grow on me. But I don't want to dwell on that, so . . it appears that Digger is going to be the wild-card in all of this. The Top, from the future, finally tells Barry what it is that's going to drive him over the edge. Remember that big piece of glass, or mirror, back at the Rogue's hideout? You know, the one that says 'In case the Flash returns break glass'. Well apparently it's a door to the mirror dimension built by the first Mirror Master, Sam Scudder. Apparently when it breaks it unleashes the Mirror Lords. Apparently one of them will posses Iris and turn her into the Mirror Mistress. Once that happens, the only way to save her before her mind is lost is to close the doorway between dimensions. And the only way to do that is to kill the person that opened it. The Top says that Flash will exhaust every option until he simply runs out of time. When out of desperation he'll go after the Mirror Master, but get the Mirror Monarch instead. Which results in a death . . Iris forever changed, and Barry wanted for murder. The Top's solution? 'This can all be changed, Flash. All you have to do is attack the Rogues before they attack you.' Unfortunately, while all of this is going on, Digger has broken out of Iron Heights and has decided that he wants his name and reputation back. And the Rogues have decided to go after the Renegades because they feel that they're tarnishing their names. Which is what we come in to next issue. We can't say that the Flash hasn't hit the ground running in this series. He's got stuff coming at him from all sides right now. Also, now that I think about it . . and look back over this issue . . there are some panels in here where Francis' art kind of has a Carmine Infantino look to it. If you didn't know, he was the definitive Flash artist through most of the 70's and some of the 80's. I didn't really see the connection before, but . . now that I look back over the issue, I can see that influence in a few spots. Anyways, I like this series so far. I still miss Wally, but I am glad that Barry is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment