Sunday, July 18, 2010

the Brave and the Bold #35 - DC

Last issue the Legion and the Doom Patrol got together to stop a primordial black-hole from destroying the Earth. However, in the process there was a bunch of . . 'things' that happened, for which nobody really knew why. But in the end, they accomplished their mission and everybody went home. So they figured it was over. Well this issue, when the Legion of Substitute-heroes hears about what the Legion did, they figure that they can get their own time-bubble and go back to before the Legion saved the day, and do so themselves. They figure that they'll get the chance to be the heroes. However, as was expected . . it's a cluster, a real FUBAR, right from the beginning. In fact when they go back in time to get the Doom Patrol, before the Legion contacts them, they instead end up with the Inferior Five. Both groups together, I thought, were hilarious. So after going through this whole issue, and their attempt to become heroes . . by the end they're just trying to get everything back to the way it's supposed to be. Which they do, but . . they leave the Inferior Five in 2010, instead of 1972. It seems to me that this was really all just an experiment by J Michael Straczynski. I'm guessing that somebody added all that 'other stuff' to the last issue . . the things that couldn't be explained, and JMS used his incredible writing talents to put together a story that wrote his way out of all of it. I could be wrong. But that's what it seemed like to me. Either way . . I thought it was great. We don't get to see these characters very often. And I liked the way that everything fell together for this story . . literally. Jesus Siaz also did a great job with the art and cover. I'm not sure what the future holds for this book . . there's only 1 more issue listed between now and November. But I hope we see some more. I really like what they've done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment