Sunday, May 23, 2010

Siege - Secret Warriors #1 - Marvel

I know this one is a little late, but . . I originally didn't pick it up. This Siege story-line was one that I tried not to get involved in . . at least not all the peripheral titles. If it crossed over into one of the books I was already reading . . fine. But I wasn't going to buy extra books just in the attempt to try to keep up. Some story-lines I'm willing to do that for. Siege wasn't one of them. Anyways, I thoroughly enjoy the Secret Warriors title, but . . I just didn't want to get caught up in it all. If I bought this one, then I'd have to buy the Spider-man one, and so on, and so on, and so on. But then when I was perusing E-bay, and I picked up some other books from this guy, I saw this one in the list for 99 cents. So, I thought . . what the heck. As it turns out . . I got it. Yay me! I thought it was an interesting issue. It doesn't really deal with the actual Siege, per-se. But rather some of the ripples that come out of it. Specifically . . the death of Ares. His son Phobos, or Alexander, is on Nick's Secret Warriors team. But this is pretty much a solo story. After seeing his father die . . on CNN, or something . . he remembers something that he told him . .'If I fall, my burdens rest with you. Good son's fear now father's war . . my honor, Alexander . . my honor demands that questions be asked . . why was I killed?' So he decides that he's going to go straight to the man in charge and ask him just that. He hacks into Nick's computers, and find his way into one of the secret entrances into the White House. All he wants to do is talk to the President, but . . everything is on full-alert because of the situation in Broxton. He fights his way through a horde of secret service agents, but the President make his getaway before Alexander can confront him. So instead, he leaves a note on his desk . . .

'Dear Mortal Head of State,
I came here today to explain the true and total consequences of your actions over the last several months. I'm guessing after today that would be unnecessary.
It's not every day that a human finds himself responsible for the death of a god and then on that very same day escapes facing another.
Surely fortune favors you, and the men I spared. Enjoy it.
But before you wash your hands of my father's blood, I would encourage you to reflect on what brought us to this point:
You sacrificed honor for expediency. You traded intent for quick action. You were wrong . . and we all suffered for it.
So do better now mortal man . . for if not I, then surely some god somewhere will someday find you wanting.
It would be a shame to wager your good fortune with folly.

The God of Fear.
Son of War. '

I thought that was pretty cool . . and intense. So all in all I don't feel like I wasted my 99 cents. Jonathan Hickman gave us a great story, with Allessandro Vitti doing the art. And, I guess . . better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment