Saturday, March 24, 2007

the Trials of SHAZAM! #5 - DC



First of all let me say that Judd Winick is a master scribe. I really think he's doing a great job with this story. I like the way that he's making Freddie do the tasks to earn the "Letter". So far he's performed Solomon's and Achilles' tasks. Well . . . he completes Achilles this issue. Also I have been a huge Howard Porter fan for a long time. I feel that this guy is greatly underrated. And the work that he's turning in on this series, is just incredible. I'm not sure how all of this is going to fit in with what's going on over in 52. Over there, Billy, Freddie and Mary have been hanging out together trying to keep an eye on the Black Shazam Family. So, from what I understand so far, the wizard has died. The Rock of Eternity is now being watched by Shazam!. He looks different, and is in a white costume but, from what I understand, it's Billy. We have no idea what Mary's up to though. Overall I really liked this issue. I'm sure we're setting the stage here for a new Shazam! revival once this series is done. At least I hope so. But it'll be interesting to see where they go from here. What will be Freddie's role. Or Billy's for that matter. I think that this family of characters is hugely underrated. They're kind of old fashioned, so they need to be modernized. And, if they get a new title after this, they need a creative team that will do them justice. There's such a rich history here, that it's a shame for it not to be utilized more. But again, this is where we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment