Saturday, March 24, 2007

Midnighter #4 - Wildstorm


This book has a couple of great things going for it. First of all, the Midnighter is a fantastic character. Everybody wants to compare him to the Batman, but I don't think that's a correct assessment. Sure there's a similarity in style, flare and even looks a bit. But, to tell you the truth, I think that if they ever met, they really wouldn't like each other. And sure maybe the Authority was a rip-off of the JLA, and he was there Batman, but he's developed in to his own unique character. So whatever the original intentions were with him, I think he's grown far and away from that. Secondly, Garth Ennis is writing this book. Think about it, this is a book about war and fighting and lots of military type thinking and ideals. I mean, who else would you want to write it? This is absolutely the perfect genre for Garth. Now, Peter Snejbjerg on pencils is . . . ok. He really reminds me of Chris Sprouse. Whom, by the way does the covers. I just don't know if I really like his style on this book. I mean, it's ok. I just don't know how believable it is. But, I'll give it a couple of issue to see if it grows on me. Then, I'll tell you how I really feel. Anyways, with this story-arc, the Midnighter has gone back in time to kill Hitler. He really doesn't have a choice, he has a bomb implanted in his chest should he fail. But, what he has learned is that the man is nowhere close to the image that is portrayed of him. He's actually a very sad, pathetic, frail old man. And if he doesn't kill him, eventually he will die by his own hand, or by those of the men around him. It's inevitable, really. So now he has to figure out how he's going to complete his mission, without disrupting time, and still satisfying his slave masters. And that'll be what we figure out next issue. So far a pretty decent book, that I feel has huge potential. I want to see how they wrap up this story, and then where they go next. And the longevity of the title will tell us how successful they are with their attempt. I'm really happy about this invigorated Wildstorm line. I just hope it lasts for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment