Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Helmet of Fate : Black Alice #1 - DC


This is a pretty cool book. I've liked this character, Black Alice, ever since she first appeared in Birds of Prey. She seemed, I don't know, more evil or something back then though. But since Gail Simone created her and has written all of her stories, and she writes this one also, I have to assume that she's exactly as Gail intentioned. Which is ok. I mean, I really do like the character, she just seemed different back then. Anyways, she seems to be like every other teenage girl out there. Well, except for being able to control the magic of any one she comes in contact with. She's almost like a Parasite of the magic world, except that she can keep the power to tap in to any time she wants, and she isn't feeding off of it. And of course she's not purple and ugly either. Ok, maybe nothing like the Parasite. For some reason the Helmet of Fate comes to her and she tries to control it, as she does everything else. But, in resisting her, it starts fulfilling her every wish. No matter how hidden and dark they are. The only way she can stop the turmoil is to send it back. So she releases it, and . . Poof! . . . it's gone. The next day she gets up and everything is back to normal. I'm glad to see that they're doing something with this character, because I really like her. She should get her own Vertigo series or something. Anyways, I more issue of the prologue, Zauriel, and then we're on to the new Fate series. I can't wait to see what they do with him this time. With all the build up here, and in 52 with Ralph, I hope it's something unique and interesting. By the way, Duncan Rouleau does the art for this issue, and it is perfect. It really reminds me of Chris Bachalo kinda'. Anyways, overall a fabulous issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment