Sunday, March 25, 2007

the Spirit #3 - DC


I guess my problem is, I'm just not being blown away by these books like I thought I'd be. This issue for instance. It starts out with a gang-land type slaying at a local Chinese restaurant. But the one witness says a name that sends the Spirit reeling in to the past. Now I start having a problem with the book. The rest of the story after this is told in a film-noir type style. The problem I have is that we start out with the Spirit's story, about the night he died. He's talking about his relationship with Dolan and Ellen. You know, setting the groundwork for the events that happened that night. But then we start switching narrators every couple pages. We start out with Denny, then switch to Dolan, switch to the cab driver, switch to the scientist, switch back to Denny, switch back to the cab driver, switch to Ellen, switch back to Denny, back to the cab driver, and then back to Denny again. If you think that's confusing, you should try reading it. You turn the page and all of the sudden someone else is telling the story, but you're not sure who until you read along a little bit. Then you have to go back to when they started narrating because when you first read it, it didn't make a lot of sense. Anyways, it was a story that took up the whole issue, and still isn't finished, but probably could've been told in about 3 pages. I don't know. I just gotta say that I'm not overly impressed so far. I had high hopes for the series, but all I've had so far is disappointment. We'll give it a few more issues though. Please . . . . surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment