Sunday, March 14, 2010

Secret Six #19 - DC

What a fantastic book. I love the way that Gail Simone handles these characters. Even Ragdoll gets a little more exposure this issue. And I gotta tell you . . he is one creepy SOB. This issue our group is going after Brother-Blood and his little cult. It appears that they've been hired to try to find a young man that went into their group a short while ago and hasn't been heard from since, James MacQuarrie. Black Alice has gone in undercover, but it isn't long before she's found out and is strapped to the sacrificial table. The group comes busting in, but it's Ragdoll that saves her from the man with the daggers. Alice is so overcome that she starts flirting with him. That's pretty creepy. Deadshot's observation is hilarious . . 'Even I know this is trouble. We can't have them doing . . stuff . . can we?' Which is part of what I love about Gail's writing . . her subtle, wry humor. Anyways, as bad as Brother-Blood's cult is . . it appears that the real 'bad-guy' here is Mr MacQuarrie, James' old man . . the one who hired our little band of over-achievers here. While they were busy on a fool's errand for this guy's son, he had sent his own team after Catman's. And they're pretty good because they have to go through Cheshire to get to him. They've all gone to MacQuerrie's estate to collect payment for their most recent job, but the old man is a game player. As they're talking the phone rings. 'This is what you must know, "Catman". We have your son. There's nothing you can do about that, Blake. Believe me. You could go bonkers trying, mate. But we will make a deal with you. One year of life. In a secluded location. That's what he gets. On year of happy, joyful life for your boy . . . for every member of your team you kill in the next five minutes. Tick tock, Mr Black.' I understand why this MacQuerrie guy wanted the cult wiped out . . they killed his son. But I don't know, yet, why he's so adamant on taking down the Secret Six. I'm sure we'll find out next issue. And I'm interested to see how Blake is going to handle this. J Calafiore does the pencils this issue. My only complaint is that I'm not sure that I agree with Alice becoming a part of this group. She's young, inexperienced, and definitely doesn't have a grasp of the full extent of her powers yet. I'm guessing that this is just a stepping stone for her . . a learning experience. She probably won't be here for long. But I'm guessing before she leaves it'll be at the expense of one of the current members. Anyways, great book. If you're not reading it, you should give it a shot. It's pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment