Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Madame Xanadu #21 - DC

I had some mixed feeling about this issue. Basically . . Madame Xanadu has caught up with the heroic age in the DC Universe. She knows of a few of them around, but hasn't met any of them face to face. However, she is friends with one Mr John Jones. I'm not sure if he's a cop in this time period, or just a PI. But he comes to Nimue every now and then for direction when he's particularly stuck on a case. Anyways, he shows up at the good Madame's house shortly after her sister, Morgana, tries to bring it down on top of her. He helps her out, and then doesn't waste any time asking her for help. The case he's following involves some kind of cult, and a group of mobsters that are bringing in rare antiquities for another group. John knows their drop-off points and times, he just doesn't know what they're up to. And after some digging, Nimue discovers that his case, and her sister are intimately connected. So now they just have to find out what she's up to. Now, I'm going to get a little critical her, but . . don't get me wrong, I still liked the book. I think Matt Wagner is doing a great job with this character, and acclimating her to the world as she moves through it . . decade, by decade, by decade. And I still think Amy Reeder Hadley is an exceptional talent. However, on this issue . . I'm not sure what happened. I don't know if it's because of the inker, or maybe Amy is having a hard time keeping up with a monthly title, but . . there were some panels in that looked pretty . . amateur. I don't know any other way to put it. I thought maybe it was just the way she was drawing John. To me it seems most evident on his character. But . . some of the gangsters look pretty choppy also. I don't know. I don't want to dwell on it. Everybody has their ups and downs. I think Amy is very talented, but . . maybe her and Matt need to figure out a way to have a different artist do a few of the pages every issue. You know . . like the flashback scenes, or whatever. Anyways, I like this book. I was just a little disappointed this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment