Sunday, March 14, 2010

the Amazing Spider-man #624 - Marvel

Once again . . I'm just not thrilled with this book right now. I am starting to see a direction, but . . it's slow and crawling. Most of this issue is spent with the new Vulture first attacking J Jonah Jameson . . he's led to believe that JJJ is the one that caused him to be like this. And then he goes after the mob, whom really caused his distress, and we get a little more background into his character and how this all came to be. I still don't see the connection between all these various characters and the Kravens. Every once in a while we get a little bit, but . . not often. However, the important thing to take out of this issue is Peter's muck-up. Obviously he tries to protect JJJ when the Vulture comes after him. He knows that JJJ had nothing to do with his creation, but it's been leaked to the press that the two of them are connected. And after the attack, JJJ is flabbergasted because on of his personal aids has been killed in the process. It looks like it's the end of his career as the Mayor. However, as much as Peter dislikes him, he also can't stand to see him blamed for something he didn't do. He knows what actually happened, but he didn't have his camera with him at the time. So he decides to do a little doctoring and make a photo to depict the events. Jonah is pissed about this, and announces in a press conference that the photo is fake. 'I cannot support a lie, not even to save my own skin. Parker's intentions may have been good . . but his ethics are deplorable. And that is why, effective immediately, I am firing Peter Parker from my payroll . . and strongly advising every honest organization, news or otherwise, to stay well away from him.' That was brutal. The story ends with Peter perched on the wreckage of the Bugle building, thinking . .'How did I lose this badly? How much worse can my life get?' And we all know . . those are famous last words. Things will get much worse. I've said it before, but I think the main thing I don't like about the book right now is that Mark Waid has virtually no character development going on during this storyline. It's just all action and fights with no substance. The part between Peter and Jonah is the heaviest thing that's happened in this book in quite a while. And I'm definitely not thrilled with Paul Azaceta and Javier Rodriquez' art. To me it just doesn't fit this book. I refuse to get sucked into all the other Spider-man titles. So . . if I can't enjoy this one on it's own . . I may just have to drop it. I haven't made that decision yet, but . . I'm thinking about it. Plus . . I enjoy Ultimate Spider-man so much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment