Sunday, March 07, 2010

Green Hornet #1 - Dynamite Entertainment

These are the 4 covers that came out for this book. Plus . . there's like 3 variations of each one. Needless to say . . I bought one book. I may look back later and try to find some more on e-bay, but . . for now I'm happy with what I got. Speaking of e-bay. Now that this series is coming out, and attention is being drawn to this character again . . everyone is trying to sell their old NOW! Comics version of these. Obviously NOW! Comics is defunct, but . . there's still people trying to make money off of the books they bought. I guess I can't blame them. From what I understand, this story is actually a screenplay that Kevin Smith wrote but was never put into production. And from that springboard, we get 4 new Green Hornet titles from Dynamite . . this one, the Green Hornet Strikes!, Green Hornet - Year One, and Kato. It looks like it's going to be a busy year for this franchise and we're only 1 issue into it right now. This was an interesting story. We get a bit of the past . . seeing how Britt and Kato did their job and cleaned up the town of the criminal element. At least the parts that they felt they had to give the police help with. And then . . they retire. Now, we jump back into the present . . I'd imagine probably 10 to 15 years later. Britt is a successful businessman, and the young Britt has turned out to be an idle playboy. But it looks like the city is going to need the Green Hornet once again, so . . I wonder who's going to rise to the challenge . . father, or son? I thought this was an entertaining opening chapter. I'd imagine that most people that pick up this series are familiar with the character's history. But if not . . that's what the Year One series is for. Kevin Smith did a great job here. And the art is done by Phil Hester on breakdowns, and Jonathan Lau on the finishes. I thought it had a really good look to it. I don't know that I'll follow all four series, but . . I'll see where this one goes. And probably do the Year One. I'm a sucker for those origin stories. However . . I just can't afford to do those variants anymore. There's just to much stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment