Sunday, March 21, 2010

Green Lantern Corps #46 - DC

I've been dreading doing this review, and . . I think that's why I've put this one off for a couple of days. To be perfectly honest . . I wasn't blown away by this one. It was . . ok. But . . there really was only a couple of pages that, for me, really progressed the story. We start out with the Green Lantern Corps defending the atmosphere of Earth from a plethora of Black Lanterns heading towards it from . . well, everywhere in the galaxy. We've learned that Earth is actually the planet from which all life sprang, and the entity that resides within it . . a being of white light . . is the ultimate protector of the universe. Or . . the final spectrum of the universal power . . the emotional power of light. Anyways, all of this has been kept a secret by the Guardians. Nekron, however . . I assume because his black/death theme is the antithesis of the white entity . . knew what was going on and has set Earth . . or more specifically Coast City, as the staging area for his big battle. His Normandy, if you will. But we knew all of that coming into this story. The first 18 pages of this story are spent with Kyle and Guy fighting the Black Lantern versions of their lost loves . . Alex and Tora. We know that Alex died. Obviously. But . . I'm guessing that Guy doesn't know about Nekron using the heroes that have been resurrected by controlling them through his power of death. Which they've all tasted. Luckily he doesn't lash out at Tora to bad, so . . when Nekron is defeated, hopefully she'll return to normal. So . . that was all . . ok. But . . we knew that it was coming, so . . it didn't really move the story along. It was just another aspect. That seems to have been the major theme of this epic story-line . . heroes being forced to faced the loved ones they've lost or wronged. But . . since the added the extra 8 pages directly to this story, the final pages of the book are spent dealing with the real issue in this tale . . the return of the Anti-Monitor. Well . . kind of. It seems that Nekron has not only found the Anti-Monitor, but has gathered him up, put him into his Black Power Battery, and is siphoning off his power. We don't really know why, yet . . but, I'm guessing that this is the chink in Nekron's armor. If they can figure out how to separate the Anti-Monitor from the Power Battery, hopefully Nekron will be diminished enough that he'll be beatable. And . . they give it the ol' college try. Unfortunately it's just not good enough. They seem to knock out the Anti-Monitor. I'd say that they've killed him, but . . I don't know that's necessarily the truth. But . . even unconscious, they can't get him separated from the battery. And that is how the issue ends . . with Kyle and Guy's technicolored emotional Lantern army getting ready to charge the Black Battery. I don't think that Peter J Tomasi necessarily did a bad job here. But . . he probably was only allowed to take the story so far, since issue #8 of Blackest Night comes out in a few weeks. I'm sure his hands were tied even more than normal. And I still think that Patrick Gleason does a fantastic job with his depiction of these numerous alien races. Like I said, I just wasn't thrilled with the progress of the story here. There really wasn't any. I'm just hoping that Blackest Night #8 has a revelation on every page because we're going to need all of that momentum to wrap this one up. I guess I'm just disappointed because this book has made so much progress. But then this month, it's stuck playing second fiddle to everything else . . again. I just don't want to see it fall back into that role. But I'm probably over reacting. It's probably better to wait and wrap up this story-line, and then . . then we'll see what the future holds for this title. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment