Sunday, March 14, 2010

the Ghoul #3 - IDW Publishing

I have to say . . I enjoyed this issue much more than the previous one. That's not to say that last issue was bad . . there were just parts that I guess I just didn't fully appreciate. Anyways, as Berni Wrightson's art was the best feature of last issue . . I guess it's only fair to praise Steve Niles story in this one. I also liked the way they brought Detective Coogan into this one. He's the PI from their first mini-series, Dead, She Said!. They got some information from the demons that they were dealing with last issue, but this Atwood woman . . they get her address from Coogan. Speaking of the demons . . when Kevin . . er, the Ghoul first arrived he mentioned to Lloyd that besides helping him with his case, he wanted to deal with the Walpurgisnacht . . some kind of 'demon-night' thing. I guess that's what the deal was with all those demons last issue in that park, but . . I felt like the whole thing was kind of glossed over a bit. There really wasn't a whole lot of attention paid to it other than that they beat up on some demons. Well that and we were introduced to Doc Macabre's character. I'm guessing that he'll probably be the focus of their next mini-series. Anyways, this issue was focused on solving the Atwood mystery . . which they do, and then Kevin heads back home. But he tells Lloyd that he'll see him again. At first Det. Klimpt doesn't know what he means, but . . 'Klimpt had seen the other side, he had glimpsed behind the curtain, into the shadows, and he found himself unable to look away. Now he would pursue a different kind of work.' And Steve's prose story in the back also wraps up this issue. It's another case that Kevin takes . . apparently a few weeks after this one, in which he finds a female version of himself involved with. I enjoyed it because we get to see more of the Ghoul's character as he tries to relate to this other person. He thought he was alone in the world. Anyways, as I said last issue, I think this will be a great story to pick up in TPB form. I think it'll read a whole lot better all at once. Plus . . if you haven't seen it, you have to take a look at Berni's art. It really is fantastic. Overall I liked the series, and the introduction to this character. It'll be interesting to see if they do another one though. I'm guessing that they will, but . . we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment