Sunday, March 14, 2010

Batgirl #8 - DC

I really enjoyed this cross-over. Batgirl and Robin, in my book, have always been the classic team-up. So Batgirl and Red Robin, to me, is just a variation of the theme. But what I think really sells this story, and this partnership, is the relationship between Tim and Stephanie. I think it's kind of in the same mold as Dick and Barbara's relationship. They're perfect for each other. And there's been a touch and go romance there . . at times. But . . they both know that it's probably something that'll end in doom or failure. So, even though they find it difficult at times, they keep each other at arms length. Even though they know that it would be great . . while it lasted. Anyways, Stephanie finally earns some of Tim's respect this issue. It's been a while since they've spent any time together . . especially crime-fighting. But with Tim, and Bruce's family being threatened by Ra's, they both have people to lose here. The target this issue seems to be Dr. Thompkins. I say 'seems to be' because I've never known Ra's to do a frontal attack. After what Tim did to the League of Assassins, Ra's has vowed to destroy everything Tim, and Bruce have built. An 'eye for an eye', if you will. Which is really the only reason that time has come back to Gotham. He's still on his quest to prove that Bruce is alive, but losing those he holds dear to him has to take priority. And at the end, Stephanie comes face to face with the real threat, Ra's assassins. And more specifically, Prudence. I thought this was a great issue. Bryan Q Miller has been doing a great job with the stories so far. And I really like the way he's handling Stephanie's character. I dare say . . I may like this Batgirl better than the previous one . . Cassandra. Although, I am wondering where she's at. Anyways, Talent Caldwell lends his art to this issue. I thought it looked great. I can't wait for part 2 in Red Robin #10.

No comments:

Post a Comment