Sunday, January 11, 2009

Wolverine Origins #31 - Marvel

First of all . . is that an awesome Mike Deodato cover? Or what? Anyways, the main part of our story now has shifted to Logan and Daken finding and killing Romulus. They've taken an uneasy alliance together because they have a common goal. Although I think Logan has the short end of the stick because he's letting his fatherly feelings, hopes and desires cloud his vision. Not entirely. He's been a warrior for a long time. But just enough, I think, that his guard is down a bit, and . . eventually it proves that he's underestimated Daken's drive and ambitions. They end up together in Northern Africa. "Follow the trail of blood. The more violent the conflict, the more senseless the slaughter, the more likely we are to find him." They aren't there long when they come across Cyber. They're both ready to fight him, but . . Cyber wants to expand their alliance. Logan's skeptical because he knows that Cyber was working for Romulus willingly. "He had me eaten alive by mutant deathwatch beetles. Because I did the one thing Romulus fears . . . I told someone that he existed. And worse? I provided them with proof." As it turns out, that was Nick Fury. But he won't share any of his information which means that he goes his own way. Logan comes up with a plan to go after him, using himself as bait. But when he awakens from the ordeal Daken already has Cyber strung up. Logan tries to question him, but then . . . Daken stabs him through the neck. "Sorry, 'Dad' . . . but I think I like Cyber's plan better." Daniel Way has done a tremendous job with this book . . through it's entirety. And now it just seems to be getting better. My only complaint is that I'm not overly thrilled with Yanick Paquette's art. Especially after seeing the crispness of Steve Dillon's work, and a few issues by Mike Deodato . . Yanick's work doesn't hold up in comparison. But . . it could be the inker too. Either way I would like to see a different artist here. But . . we get what we get. Right? I still love the book, and I can't wait to see where this story leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment