Saturday, January 31, 2009

Batman Confidential #25 - DC


I love this series and of course I love the character of the Batman. Really my only problem with this one . . I'm concerned about Andrew Kreisberg's story. This was supposed to be a story from the beginning of Batman's career. It was his first encounter . . or close to it . . with the Joker and, this issue, with the Riddler. And as a Joker story . . it was ok. But then he uses references that don't fit with the timeline. Joker's talking about this whacked out cop, Det G Shane . . . "I think someone caught too many episodes of Grey's Anatomy. Eh, McMoody?" That really doesn't fit at all with this story, both in the time-frame or in the established character of the Joker. It just doesn't fit. Now the reason I'm worried is because Andrew is now writing Green Arrow. Personally, I've loved the last three Green Arrow series. He's come to be one of my favorite characters. But, if Andrew is going to write stories there . . as he's done here . . I worry about the future of the book. Maybe my concern is unfounded, but . . . I'm just sayin'. The feel and vibe of this story, to me, felt more like one I would've read in a Batman book back in the 70's. I want to like it. I liked Scott McDaniel's pictures. But . . I'm finding it hard to give it a positive review. I really don't want this book to go the way of Superman Confidential. I want it to stick around for a long time to come. Hopefully the next story-arc will be a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment