Monday, January 05, 2009

Wonder Woman #27 - DC


First of all, I'd like to say that Gail Simone is a fantastic writer. I first encountered her scripts over at Marvel. I think the book was called Soldier-X. But I may be wrong about that title. Anyways, shortly after she came over to DC. In that time I've loved everything that she's done. I was thrilled with her stuff on Birds of Prey. But, I think her work on Wonder Woman is her best to date. These are some fantastic stories and I simply love what she's doing to these characters. Now, add the that the thrilling artwork of Aaron Lopresti . . and we've got a hell of a book here. We know that last issue Genocide took out Wonder Woman. This issue we find out that she's gone to Dr Minerva, and the Crime Doctor, with Diana's lasso . . that she took when she beat her down. What we didn't know is that there's a secret to the lasso that Wonder Woman has never revealed to anyone. We don't know yet what that is, but . . when Genocide goes to the psycho doctors she asks them . . no, tells them . . "Make it part of me!" Later when she's at the DMA, basically taking down the whole facility, a small group from the JLA show up . . Black Canary, Vixen, John Stewart, Firestorm and Red Tornado. They attempt to fight her, but during the fight they notice . . "Good lord. Wonder Woman's lasso! It 's in it's flesh. It's wrapped around it's bones!" The other part of this story that I really like is how Gail is trying to put the pieces of the Gods of Olympus back together. They've gone through hell, literally, at the hands of Darkseid and now Zeus is trying to make amends for leaving their followers hanging. All the Amazons that were scattered to the wind . . put out there in the real world, losing there memories? Zeus gives them all their memories back, and . . a path back to Paradise Island. And he gives one final gift to Hippolyta. "I offer you all the peace of the grave, Queen. It is my final gift to you." But, with all of her daughters returning, is that a gift that she's going to be willing to accept? I've loved this book through all of it's creative . . and title . . changes. George Perez, Phil Jimenez, Terry Dodson, Adam Hughes . . just to name a few . . have all contributed significantly to the history of this character. But right now? Right now I feel that this books in the best place it's been for quite a while. This book is one of my favorites right now. And for good reason.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you reviewed this book. I've read it three times already, and it's definitely the best single issue I'd read from last month's lot.

    I was ready to drop WW after the last few 'tweener issues, but changed my mind after seeing Lopresti's amazing art for this Genocide arc.

    Gail Simone rocks! She and Ivory Madison (The Huntress Y1) are a couple of the best writers DC has right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the direction this book is taking right now. I also think Gail is terrific. The part I like, even in this terrible tragedy, is the subtle humor that she imbues into her stories. I'm just surprised she hasn't gotten more recognition. Maybe she will after this story-arc. I can't imagine that Wonder Woman is going to come out the other side the same as she started.

    ReplyDelete