Sunday, January 11, 2009

Top 10: Season Two #3 - America's Best Comics


I like this book. I thoroughly enjoyed the first incarnation of it. But . . it was quite a while ago. I don't really remember all of the characters. Plus the fact that . . . there's so many of them. But . . none of that really matters. Alan Moore and Zander Cannon wrote the first series. So Zander's got a pretty good feel for the characters. I'm sure he remembers who they all are. And he writes the book under the assumption that he doesn't have to explain everything as he goes along. It seems like he's operating under the assumption that those that are picking up this book, will have a pretty good idea of the look and feel of it. Therefore, he's just rolling along with the characters and stories. Personally . . I wouldn't like it any other way. This has always been a book where it's not the specific characters . . whether it's their powers or identity . . that's really important. What's always been important here is the stories that they have to tell. Such as this issue. It revolves around Lloyd, Top Flight, and his wife Cathy, Peregrine. Basically it comes down to the fact that he doesn't appreciate her. He's older than her and he just thinks that she's incessantly whining or complaining. As he's leaving for a 'work' weekend, he doesn't even give her the chance to tell him that they're having a baby. He and Hector are going away for an origin weekend. That's where this cosmic type of character tries to help people become better heroes by pushing their powers and giving them an origin. Anyways, Lloyd's path leads to this cave with a crystal. He touches it and he transported inside the crystal. Where he finds somebody else. A guy who's been trapped there for thousands of years. He doesn't even remember his own name. Anyways, he tells Lloyd that in order to leave the crystal, and go back to his body, all he has to do is touch the crystal again. But as he's doing so, the old guys whacks Lloyd on the head. "Well to be fair, I should tell you . . . you have to leave someone behind. Sorry, Charlie." And with that, the guys gone and he's now in Lloyds' body. Basically Lloyd's being punished for the same reasons that this other guy was trapped in the crystal. "All I ever think about in here is how I'd be better. Y'know, how I'd value people's feelings more. How I wouldn't miss opportunities to tell people I care about them. How I'd be fair with people." So like I said, it doesn't really matter whether or not I remember Lloyd and Cathy, just that I get the gist of the story that they're telling. I think this is a fantastic book and series. Zander has kept in right in the tradition of the first series, and with Gene Ha on the art . . it really does seem like the perfect sequel. I wonder if we'll ever get another look . . . after these 4 issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment