Friday, January 02, 2009

Ok! I'm frustrated!

On your dashboard, under blogger buzz, there's a link you can go to to add a widget to your blog called I-Like. It's supposed to be a music widget. So you can add a soundtrack. Hey! What have I been talking about for the last couple of months? This sounds perfect to me. So I go in and start making my play-list. Actually, I was hoping that I could add music from my own computer, but . . . no such luck. You have to pick from the artists and songs that they have in their lists. But that's ok. There's an awful lot of stuff listed and I found something that I like under pretty much every artist that I looked up. Anyways, I put about 12 songs in my play-list. I didn't want to get to ambitious, and . . I wanted to go to the blog to make sure that it worked. Well . . I use a couple different browsers. Sometimes I use FireFox, and sometimes I use Safari. But mostly I just use internet explorer. But that one frustrates me sometimes so I'll just use the other ones out of spite. I guess. Anyways, I couldn't get the music application to play on either FireFox or Safari. FireFox told me I needed some plug-in, and Safari said I didn't have some mime setup. Well, I didn't want to go through all of that so I just went back to my good ol' internet explorer and viewed my blog that way. The good news? It worked. I was able to listen to the tracks. The bad news? Some of them were only 30 seconds or less. Which means if it was a live song . . . you barely got into the music before it cut off. But . . . I was ok with that. A few of the songs were full length so I just thought I'd go back and edit the list and take out the ones that didn't work. Yes it wasn't really my play-list . . I was only listing what would actually play, but . . hey . . at least it's something. It's still music. Right? Well when I went back to I-Like it didn't take me back to my play-list. It wanted to start me out all over again. So I thought, well I better go to my layout and see if I can delete the songs that way. That was a no-go! All you can do from the layout is delete the whole widget. But I thought . . that's ok. I'll just delete it and start over. 2 problems here. First it doesn't want to delete right. It gives you an error message. So it doesn't look like it's deleted even though it says it has been. Secondly, I went to posts and then back to layout and it showed it was gone. However, I rearranged a couple of things to give the play-list a more prominent placement, but now . . . now I can't move anything back. When I go to layout, everything seems to be locked it place. This sucks! All I thought was that I could share a couple of my favorite songs with the people that browse me, but no! It has to be a big ordeal and now I have to go to blogger and ask for help on how to fix my layout. What a pain in the posterior. So, my advice to you, if you look into the blogger buzz regularly, and you see this article . . . turn away! Turn away fast and don't be tempted by thought of creating your own soundtrack. It's not worth it, and now . . . now I've wasted about 45 minutes messing around with it. Just say NO!

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of glad this didn't work out. I usually read your reviews from my desk, while I stream radio through headphones. I'm sure the mishmash of sound would be distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall, I think it's a neat idea. And I know it's still in Beta. But, I wish they would make sure the bugs are worked out before they start asking people to try it. It was a frustrating experience.

    ReplyDelete