Saturday, January 10, 2009

Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom #4 & #5 - DC

This series actually ended ok. I was a little 'iffy' about it in the middle. But now that I can see what they were trying to accomplish . . . it was ok. Really, my only complaint is that is seemed like there was some wasted time in the middle. This series probably could've been done in 3 issues . . . definitely in 4. But I think 5 stretched it out a little longer than it needed to be. But Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray were the writers so . . this is what they saw as the picture they wanted to present. There's basically 2 things going on here. First is Kal's attempt at reestablishing his connection with Kara. Yes they're cousins so there's the whole family thing. But . . through here trials and errors she's kind of distanced herself from him because of some misplaced perceptions and expectations. At the same time Kal was a little stand-offish because he didn't want her to think that he was just 'getting on her case' all of the time. Which he was, but . . not really on purpose. It was all out of love. It kind of reminded me of me and my wife when we argue. Most of the time it comes down to simple miscommunication. We both want the same thing, we're just looking at it from 2 different perspectives, or coming at the problem from different directions, so we perceive the other persons difference as a conflict to our idea of a resolution. When actually . . we're both trying for the same thing. Sometimes we just need to slow down and explain ourselves a little better. And, like I said, there's misplaced perceptions. We assume the other person's mad, or upset, so they must be. Anyways, that's what Kal is trying to work on with Kara . . their line of communication. It all comes down to patience and understanding. That's pretty much what issue #4 is all about. It seems that what really helped was for Kal to shut his mouth for a little while. At the end of last issue he was drugged by some aliens. Kara gets him the anti-dote but, while his body is fighting the intrusion, he's kind of in and out of it for a week or so. Which forces Kara to fend for herself and to come up with some solutions and decisions on her own. Which to me basically shows that Kal was trying to be the over-protective father. Sometimes the best thing you can do for people is not try to solve their problems for them . . . but just to listen. Don't even offer suggestions. Just listen. So I agree that these 2 needed this time to reach that resolution. I don't think it needed to take 4 issues, but . . I agree with the outcome. Then in issue #5 they head back to Earth and find out that they have to defend Metropolis from Maelstrom and the Female Furies. Maelstrom is pining for Darkseid's heart, as if he even has one, and wants to bring back Superman's head to prove that she's worthy of his attention. It's just funny to me that Maelstrom's name is in the title of the series, but it took until issue #5 for Superman to even come across her. Until now . . he had no idea who she was or that she was out for his head. Obviously, between the 2 of them, they make pretty short work of these Apokalyptan fem-fatales. But really it comes down to Kara's efforts, and her decision to move the battle away from the populated area, that turns the tide. Yes Superman helped, but . . it was really Kara that did all the 'heavy-lifting'. In the end . . I liked the series. It was ok. I'm a fan of Phil Notos. I don't know that his style was the best for this series, but . . again, it was ok. As I noted in my recent Flash blog, I'm just not a fan of these 'quick' and 'tidy' endings. I mean we get all of this drama and anticipation that builds up over a series of issues, and then . . . the protagonist, or situation, is taken care with what seems like a minimum of effort. I'm not saying I don't agree with the outcome, or understand what's been accomplished. Sometimes it's just a little to 'neat & tidy' . . for me. Life isn't that way. Why should it be that way in the comics? They're imitating life . . right? Anyways, that's just my take on it. In the end, it doesn't change my overall feeling for the book. It's just something that I take note of . . like the story, or the art.


No comments:

Post a Comment