Sunday, January 11, 2009

Batman: Cacophony #2 - DC


Ok, I have to admit, I'm not really sure if this mini-series is about the Joker . . or Onomatopoeia. He's the guy with the black mask with the 'O' on it. During the first issue, I just thought that he was somehow involved in all of this because of the Joker, but . . it seems like he's made Batman his target and he's just using the Joker as bait to draw him out. I'm pretty sure that Kevin Smith created him, because I first remember seeing him in Green Arrow. I'm not sure if it was during Kevin's run, or after it . . he did shoot Connor during the ordeal . . but,I'm pretty sure Kevin had a hand in his creation. Anyways, any story with the Joker in it seems . . naturally . . to be a story about him. He is a scene stealer after-all. But, Batman surmises this issue that he had broke him out of Arkham, and set him on Maxie's trail, as bait for Batman. But that's ok. At the end of this issue, Batman does the exact same thing to turn the tables on him. Batman convinces Maxie that he needs to turn himself in. Which really isn't to hard to do considering that he's got the Joker on his trail. From there, he knows that the Joker will make an attempt on him before he's turned over to the feds. That's when the Batman will take him down. But the other part of his plan is to draw out Onomatopoeia, who also has figured out what the Joker is capable of. And on the final page of the issue . . the pieces fall right in to place. I can't remember if Kevin has done Batman before, but . . I like his take on the character. And of course he always writes great stories. The artist on this series is Walter Flanagan. His work is ok. It's not overly flashy, but . . it's also not terrible. You can tell he draws his influence from several different artists. My only criticism would be that I think he needs a little more consistency. But overall . . I thought it was a pretty decent issue. Of course the Joker always brings out the fan-boy in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment