Sunday, January 04, 2009

the Mighty Avengers #20 - Marvel


I really liked this issue. It was touching, and moving. I'm not a huge Lee Weeks fan, but . . I thought the pencils in this issue looked terrific. The look and feel that he gave the book fit the story-line perfectly. I also have to say thanks to Brian Bendis for bringing us such a touching look into Janet and Hanks life, and relationship. Basically, this issue revolves around Janet's funeral. I guess she was killed during the Invasion, but there's no body. I don't know the specifics, because I purposefully skipped that event, but . . . I pretty much get the idea of what's going on now. Anyways, through all of this, Hanks doing a lot of soul-searching. As would anyone in this situation. He also asks to be filled in on everything that happened since he was 'switched out'. And, he's missed a lot. Apparently he was 'switched out' before M-Day. He also missed the Civil War and Caps getting shot. And he missed the Hulk war. But what really upsets him is how his doppelganger, in his body and face, addressed the nation and asked them to accept the inevitability of the success of the Invasion. He had told the world over and over again, "Embrace change". So now . . . that's how the world see's him. Even if in their hearts they know that wasn't him, but a Skrull duplicate . . . it's hard for them to look at his face and not see him telling them that they were defeated. And, except for losing Jan, I really think that's what bothers him the most. He even lashes out at Tony when he gets up during the funeral to say a few words about Jan. "I keep asking myself, what would Janet think of all this? I think she would ask . . . how could you do this? So I'll ask for her . . . how could you do this? I'M ASKING YOU TONY! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS? HOW COULD YOU LET THIS HAPPEN? HOW? Tell me! I really want to know! YOU KILLED CAPTAIN AMERICA, YOU KILLED JANET! BUT THERE YOU ARE! WHO'S NEXT, TONY? Who's . . ." The issue ends with Norman standing in the conference room of Avengers tower . . alone. He's looking out over his city . . . his world. And from here . . we go to Dark Avengers #1. I have to say, I won't be following the Dark Reign story-line . . . unless it crosses over into the books that I normally buy. But . . I will be getting the Dark Avengers. It's by Brian Bendis and Mike Deodato Jr. How could I pass it up?

No comments:

Post a Comment