Sunday, January 04, 2009

Ex Machina #40 - WildStorm


This seemed kind of like a fill-in issue to me. Except . . . it was still done by Tony Harris and Brian K Vaughn. The gist of the story . . . that's them on the cover by the way . . is that this is their meeting with Mayor Hundred to pitch him their idea about the graphic novel for his life. To me the most moving part of the story is when Brian is talking to the Mayor. He's talking about how much he loves NYC. So much so that when his girlfriend moved to California after 9/11 . . he didn't. When the mayor asks him why, he responds that it was because of him and the events that happened on 9/11. So the Mayor asks him where he was. It was really moving, the way he explained it. I could put it in here for you but . . I think it would be better if you picked up the book and read it for yourself. It is, after-all, Brian's own words. I wonder if it hard to write yourself in the third person like that. Especially considering that he's writing a pitch for a story . . a meeting . . that never really happened. But I'm sure he had a lot of personal reference to draw from. Anyways, as they're sitting there waiting, Tony begins to sketch. He says he's drawing the 2 of them sitting in the waiting room. If they get the project, he wants to incorporate them into the first scene. Brian's reply? "I'm not big into the whole Grant Morrison 'meta' thing. Seeing creators in a book kinda takes me out of the story, you know. . . ? Don't draw my nose so big." I thought that was fantastic. Anyways, I really liked the book, and I thought it was an interesting diversion to the current story-lines running through it. At the end, we also get a little 2 page teaser by Garth Ennis and Jim Lee. Whodathunkit? Anyways, this book continues to be a masterpiece and I love the work these guys do on it. However, I have heard that they have a definite end-date in mind for this book. I don't know when it is. I hope it's not soon. But I just wanted to pass that along.

No comments:

Post a Comment