Sunday, January 11, 2009

Justice League of America #28 - DC


Ok . . I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. And last issue . . I was pretty harsh on Dwayne McDuffie and this whole Shadow Cabinet. Well . . maybe not harsh, but . . also not very understanding. Last issue this team appears, they go after Doctor Light and break into the Justice League Satellite. That puts them in direct conflict with pretty much the whole team. I mean, I think this Icon and Hardware and the rest of their team is interesting enough, but . . to pull that off right off the bat . . no "how ya' doin?", "can I buy you a cup of coffee?", nothin'? That takes a pretty big sack. This issue we don't find out a whole lot about what they're trying to do, but . . we do find out that they're trying to steal the remains of the original Dr. Light, which is related to why they went after Kimiyo, because there's somebody whom they consider to be a 'mad god', and if he gets ahold of what they're after . . "Then a madman with the power of a god will destroy everything we hold dear." As it turns out there's an agreement in place between Superman and Icon. Icon is actually fighting 'the good fight', but . . if the JLA just hand over what they want, it'll arouse the suspicions of his other team members and in turn that'll affect their teamwork and fighting abilities when the big fight does occur. The issue ends with Hardware trying to escape with the bounty, but as he flies into the portal Hawkman is on the other side. Guess who wins that one? Hawkman was on the way to the satellite to ask the JLA for help. "He's trying to destroy the Earth, and I can't stop him alone. . . . . . . Shadow Thief!" Personally, I thought that this was the best issue the Dwayne has written to date. I loved the banter back and forth between the JLA and the Shadow Cabinet. And I thought the subterfuge on Superman and Icon's part was perfectly written. We're introduced to all the various characters, but . . we don't really dig into them or their powers very much. But that's ok. To much explanation would've really bogged down this issue. As it was, I think the pace was perfect. I thought the artist, Jose' Luis did a fantastic job. The only way it would've been better, to me, would've been if his name was followed by Garcia Lopez . . my all-time favorite artist. I really wasn't expecting a lot from this issue, but . . . I was definitely proved wrong. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment