Thursday, January 08, 2009

Vigilante #1 - DC


Really, I only have 1 complaint about this issue . . it's only a 6 issue mini-series. I've always kind of liked this Vigilante guy. Well . . gal, depending on which series you read. But, my point is, other that hiding his/her identity, he doesn't really hide what he's trying to accomplish. He's out to take down the bad-guys. Period! And, to that end . . he'll do whatever he has to. It doesn't look like this version is using the 'rubber bullets'. I think it was the first version that did that. He wanted to take them down, but he didn't want to hurt them. That's some kind of twisted logic. This one seems a lot more ruthless and driven by his cause. That's the other thing I like about this character. First of all, I think there have been about 5 different ones. But in each incarnation there's always the 'reveal' point where we learn who they are and what terrible thing happened in there life to make them choose this type of past-time. To the credit of this character, they've always been different and they've always been interesting. To me, it's also interesting the Marv Wolfman is writing this series. He's the one who created Vigilante and obviously knows the most about him. Which is also why I'm looking forward to this series, because I know he'll do a fantastic job with him. It's also nice to see Rick Leonardi back on a regular basis. He's been doing a lot more books lately, and he appears to be the penciller on this series. The only reason I say 'appears' is because it seems like pencilling chores have been changing at the drop of a hat on some books lately. I complain about it the most in the Marvel books, but really . . it's happening everywhere. Anyways, I'm glad this character is getting another chance here. It'll be interesting to see what the motivations and goals are this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment