Saturday, January 24, 2009

Avengers: the Initiative #20 - Marvel


I love the characters in this book, but this issue . . . I really liked that we focused on Hank and Janet. I know. Janet's dead. But, Hank has recruited Jocasta to help him out with a little therapy session. Trauma offers to help him with his re acclimation, but . . Hank hasn't really met him yet. So he's going to trust the people he knows. I really liked the dialogue between Hank and Janet. I thought it was really honest and open. I especially liked when she asked how long ago he had actually been replaced. Basically . . she wanted to know if it was him that hit her. It was. Apparently he was replaced shortly after that. She also brought up how sad she was when Journeyman was cancelled. That was one of my favorite shows also. Anyways, there's other information on the team this issue . . they're all in the recovery phase of the Invasion right now. So they're trying to get live on the base back to normal, but . . because of how hard they were personally hit . . it's going to take a while, and some trust and faith to get things even close to a semblance of normality. As the Skrull Kill-Crew are burying their fallen, Ryder tells Riot that she can go back to normal now. Now that the Invasion is over. She does . . and she dies. He lied to her about the Skrulls, but . . he wanted her to have the rest that she deserved. And Taskmaster has figured out the Mutant-Zero is actually Typhoid Mary. I didn't see that one coming. Trauma does get to offer his help to someone though . . he helps Tigra cope with the fact that she's pregnant with Hank's baby. Actually, the Skrull hank. Trauma shows her her worst fear . . . that she has a litter of Skrulls. In the end Hank's decided that he's going to leave the Initiative, and we find out that the Skrull Hank had 1 more trick up his sleeve . . . in the event of his demise, he's triggered the Thor robot to come back on line. I'm sure that's not a good thing. I really like what Dan Slott and Christos Gage have done with this book. I don't know that it's my favorite Avengers book, but . . right now, it's definitely the most interesting. To bad there's only a couple of issue left. I'll miss it. I thought Steve Kurth did a decent job with the pencils this issue also.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you I was pretty disappointed by the revelation that Mutant Zero was Typhoid Mary. I know it was unrealistic to expect Marvel to bring Jean Grey(who I really wish would come back already)back in a book like The Initiative, but I was still hoping it was Jean behind that mask. More realistically, I thought Mutant Zero could have been the Scarlet Witch, that way Dan could have just moved the whole Mutant Zero story to Mighty Avengers.

    Oh well, although I'm pretty torn up that this series is on its last legs, I can take solace in the fact that Dan Slott will be penning Mighty Avengers, and we may still see some of these characters cross over to that book.

    ReplyDelete