Friday, January 02, 2009

Batman and the Outsiders #14 - DC


This issue gives us a bit of a clearer picture about the direction that Frank Tieri wants to take this group in. Basically, it feels like Batgirl, Cassandra, is the only one that cares about whether or not this group has a future. As much of a loner as she is, I think she's really gotten used to being part of a 'family' . . . a member of a group. Especially in their line of business, it has to be such a relief to know that you have people working with you that you can count on, and you know they have your back. Anyways . . she's trying to set up a 'network' of individuals to try to help her take better care of Gotham. So far she's started with Dick, Vigilante and the Riddler. But we don't know who else she might have talked to. But Dick is pissed. He's also mad at Alfred because he knew but didn't try to stop her. He really puts Alfred on the spot when he questions him and asks him what Bruce would've wanted, "How could you allow it to happen? You know he would never approve . . ." Which really gets Alfred going, "Mind yourself! Young man. I certainly don't need to be lectured about that. I believe I would know better than anyone what he would approve of. But we must accept that he is not coming back . . . and that we must find the means to replace what he did for this city. The concept of what he stood for may be more important than one man. Or one method. And if this network proves to be the method that allows his legacy to continue, it has my blessing. Whether he would have approved of it or not. And, dare I say it, whether you approve of it or not." After a scolding like that . . Dick and Cassie sit down and try to bury the hatchet. They decide that they need to come together and be a 'family' again. " . . your network . . if it's going to work properly, run smoothly . . if we want to reach as many allies as possible . . . what I'm trying to say is . . ." But they seem to be of the same mind because Cassie finishes for him, "You don't have to finish. I understand. It might be best if you managed it." And with that, they truly come together. So, it appears that the Outsiders now have a future, a course of action and a focus. In between all of this story, we also see in the background, and shadows, that it appears that someone else is getting themselves ready to take the Batman's place. We don't really know who he is, but . . I'm guessing, because of the page with the monks . . . "Am I worthy? Please say that I am, for the suit of sorrows . . . is beckoning me." To which the monks respond, "No, you are not worth yet. But soon, my angel of death. Very soon." So I'm thinking . . . Jean-Paul Valley. Maybe? Anyways, I thought this was a great issue. I like the feeling the Ryan Benjamin is bringing to this book. But, I'm very excited to see the Outsider's Special coming soon which teams up Frank with Adam Kubert. That should be a spectacular book. I'm glad this book isn't going anywhere. It would've been a shame to lose this one also.

No comments:

Post a Comment