Saturday, January 24, 2009

Avengers / Invaders #7 - Marvel / Dynamite Entertainment


I like this book, and I really appreciate what they're trying to do here, but . . . these 12 issue maxi-series always seem to drag in the middle. I'm not saying this story wasn't good, but . . usually around issues 6, 7 and 8 of these things, I start asking myself if we're ever going to get to the end. It seems like this whole story is wrapped around D'Spayre. He's in the sewers of Manhattan and somehow he's gotten his hands on the cosmic cube. " . . . the manifestations of the nation's loss as amplified by the cube. Cap's death . . the war between the heroes . . . the loss of security . . their own lives . . all their wishes for something else . . all their sadness for not getting what they long for . . all coming here, all being amplified filling up every nook and cranny of our world . . until we drown in the regret. I've face this demon . . but it's never had the cube to channel regret into a food source before." We find out that Torch made a big mistake with the LMD's. He thought they were a sympathetic life force ,but . . . they turned out to be robots. Robots under the control of Ultron. And Cap and Cap . . actually, Bucky and Cap . . come face to face. Finally. Bucky, er . . Cap, has come to rescue Cap, Steve, and Namor from the virtual reality device that they've been locked into. Unfortunately on his way there breaking glass, and a rush of water that exposes his prosthetic arm. So when Cap's sees him . . in the altered uniform, and metal arm . . he jumps to conclusions . . . " You got the costume wrong, robot! I'm not going to let you take my place. I won't let you betray what I stand for!" Oh yeah, and Jan gets in and frees Tony. My other problem with this 12 issue format is that when it started it fit in pretty nicely with the then current Avengers continuity. You know . . New Avengers and Mighty Avengers. But now? Now that the Secret Invasion has come and gone? It no longer fits. So even though all of this started before all of that . . . we're supposed to believe that this'll all play out before the Invasion starts? Plus I'm a little confused about the implications that some of these characters could be Skrulls. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but . . if it's part of the Marvel Universe, it has to fit into the time-line somewhere. Right? Don't get me wrong. I like this book. I think Alex Ross, Jim Krueger and Steve Sadowski are doing a great job here. Also, Patrick Berkenkotter steps in to help Steve on the art this issue. It's great to see all of these characters in one book. These middle issues just never really seem like they're working towards the resolution. They always seem like filler. But I guess with only 5 issues to go . . I should enjoy it while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment