Sunday, January 25, 2009

Secret Six #5 - DC


It seems like this rag-tag group of 'wannabe' heroes is barely holding it together this time around. Bane has been captured by Junior and his henchmen, and the rest of the team, while visiting Scandal's friend Jeanette in Las Vegas, has been poisoned by Cheshire. So while we seen Junior take Bane apart piece by piece, everybody else is in Jeanette's Hotel, the Nocturne, puking their guts out and waiting for the platoon of bad-guys to make another strike at them. There is after-all a 10 million dollar bounty on each of their heads. Junior wants the Get Out of Hell Free card that Scandal now has in her possession. Supposedly it was made by Neron himself. But the gang is supposed to take it and Tarantula back to Gotham. Jeanette, I guess, has her own people take care of all the thugs at her hotel, while the gang goes to rescue their team-mate from Junior. They get there just in time and in the process . . they find out that Junior is actually Rag-dolls sister. I have no idea where that came from . . or why? I'm not sure what this all means, but . . I guess we'll find out next issue. I love Gail Simone's stories. This one confused me a little at the end, but . . . overall I still think she's doing a tremendous job. I also love Nicola Scott's pencils. I think she's got a brilliant future ahead of her. Unfortunately . . for this series . . there's only 1 issue to go. So sad. To bad. I'm gonna hate to see it go. But . . this is their second series in as many years, so . . who knows? Maybe we'll see them back here again soon. One can only hope.

3 comments:

  1. Junior being revealed as Ragdoll's sister was another pretty disappointing revelation, sort of like Typhoid Mary over in The Initiative. I don't know where Gail pulled that from...

    I actually thought this was going to be an ongoing series, so I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed to find out issue #6 is the end of this series. Besides the bizarre reveal of Junior, this series has been pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad! I was going through the upcoming issues last night and I found out they have this one listed up to #9 right now. I mistook the end of this story-arc next issue for it being the end of the series. I guess I was assuming. You know what happens when you assume! Anyways . . sorry. There's a new story-arc starting with issue #7. I hope they keep the team with a rotating cast. Kind of like the Exiles. The Six would be perfect for it because then they could get the specific talent that they needed for whatever their mission was. And as far as I know Gail Simone should be sticking around on the scipts. To me, she makes the book. I love her humor. Anyways, sorry for the mistaken info there. My bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, that's a relief. I would have really missed this comic! I actually like the idea of a rotating cast, to a point. I'd personally like to keep the core group intact(Catman, Scandal, Deadshot and Ragdoll), but I like the idea of the final 2 spots being reserved for mission specific characters.

    As for Gail Simone, without her, I don't think there could BE a Secret Six. She really took this bunch of rag-tag losers and made them into something special. I can't imagine another writer being able to write this book in her indelible style.

    ReplyDelete