Sunday, January 04, 2009

X-Men: Legacy #219 - Marvel

Jagannatha. That's what the Juggernaut should really be called. If you went according to the ancient folk-lore. At least that's what Charles tells him. But I really don't think Cain gives a crap. This whole issue is basically a face-off between Charles and Cain. Charles recently tried to get into Cain's mind. I'm guessing to try to sort out some of the memories he has with him, from the past. But who knows. It could've been for any reason. But with his helmet and power of Cyttorak, he could feel him coming. And he's not very happy about it. We get a little rehashing of some of their history together in Vietnam. And it sounds like, basically, Charles want to offer his hand in friendship, and try to talk Cain into walking with the angels again. But Cains not having it. When he stepped away from the path of Cyttorak for a short while . . that's when he started to be at his weakest. He really doesn't like that feeling. In order to get back to full power he had to fully embrace Cyttorak and be the person he feels he was meant to be. Which is fine by me because I never really bought him as a good guy anyways. Anyways, long story short, Cain thinks he's got Charles under his thumb because he's got this bar full of hostages around him. Eventually he kills Charles, and the rest of the X-Men and goes on with his life of skulduggery. Until he finds out that the whole thing is in his head. "The real Cain Marko is the one lying in that bed. Don't you understand? I came to you in your sleep. All of this, from the bar right through to the present moment, happened only in mindscape. I can't face you, because . . as we've established . . you'd kill me. And a great many other people along the way. You're right Cain, redemption isn't always possible. But understanding is. I understand you better now, and I know you've chose the path you walk. For your own sake . . don't stray onto mine." That threat was pretty concise and to the point. But you know Cain. It's just going to piss him off. I thought this was an interesting in-between issue. Mike Carey, I think, has been doing a pretty impressive job on this book. Phil Briones fills in on the pencils this issue. They're ok. They show a lot of promise. I think the guy just needs some more work. I like that this title is focusing on Charles, and trying to piece together all the various parts of his past and history. We know most of it, but . . there's always a new way to look at anything. I think we're starting to see a different side of Charles also. I can't wait to see what the future . . or the past . . holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment