Saturday, January 10, 2009

Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam! #3 - DC


The more I read this book . . the more I like it. I think Mike Hunkel is the perfect creator for it. His stories kind of harken back to the old Shazam! series . . you know, the one in the 70's. He's trying to give it his own feel, but . . it also has that innocence that it used to. The Trials of Shazam! was a kind of dark and intense series. This one, however, is more light-hearted and care-free. Yes Billy and Mary are fighting Black Adam this issue, and the Seven Deadly Sins, but . . along the way, they just don't take themselves to seriously. They want to fix this problem with Theo, and the sins that he's unleashed, but at the same time . . . Mary's worried about school and Billy has to serve some detention. Bummer! It was ironic that while in detention, with all of these problems going on in the world, Billy takes the time to help the other kids there . . that have been there forever, simply because they don't understand math. Like I said, I really enjoy this series. I love that feel that it has, both in story and art. I think it's the perfect addition to this Johnny DC line of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment