Wednesday, January 21, 2009

the War that Time Forgot #8 - DC


I think this series is interesting. I think it has a unique cast of characters. I don't know that we've fully explored them, or developed them into characters that we care about, but . . it is an interesting social experiment. And honestly . . that's what I think it is. I think someone . . from the future . . has brought together all of these soldiers from various times and thrown a basket full of problems and threats at them. Because of their various experiences, and ethnicity's . . their very reluctant to work together, let alone trust each other. But, I think they're finally starting to realize that they're all in the same rat-cage. They've ended up at odds only out of geography and ideology. But, essentially . . they all have the same problem . . they've been put on this island to study like animals with no idea what the ultimate scenario is supposed to look like. So they don't know what's the real threat and what's not. But . . they are learning fast. They've already discovered that most of the animals are actually robots. That doesn't make them any less threatening, but . . it's something. Through that discovery, they've also figured out that they're being watched. Which means that someone is trying to force them into certain actions. So, making peace and working together is probably not on the agenda of their watchers. It would obviously then be their most prudent course of action. But as Col. Jape seems to be going out of control, Akisha shows back up to put him down. We find out on the final panel of the book that he also is a robot. My guess would be his role was to incite the mistrust and anger born out of ignorance. He probably had to amp things up a bit now that the rest of them were all starting to come together. But really, that revelation is the only positive progression in the story-line. I really think this is being stretched out a lot more than it needs to be. I appreciate the story that Bruce Jones is putting together here, but . . it seems like there's an awful lot of filler. And I still don't think that Al Barrionuevo art is being displayed to it's full potential. It's frustrating to me because I don't see any reason why. This month's cover was by Josh Middleton. Like I said . . it's interesting, I like the characters and I'm sure it'll have an explosive ending. But there's an awful lot of minutia. I hope it pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment