Saturday, January 31, 2009

Manhunter #38 - DC


I really had a hard time getting in to this issue. Last issue, and this, take us about 10 to 15 years into Kate and Ramsey's future. Basically it shows us that even then . . they're basically doing what they're doing now . . living life . . having the occasional super-hero outing . . . dealing with all the usual drama. I guess it's kind of a 'life goes on' type story. I guess in a way it's a positive thing because even that far ahead in time . . Kate's still trying to make the world a better place, and she hasn't been killed yet. Ramsey's learned about his powers and is embracing them . . even if Kate isn't. But, by the end of the issue they come to an understanding. I think Kate would rather not stand in his way if it means affecting their relationship as a family. As least that's the way I see it. But it's just kind of a 'what if?' type story. It doesn't really mean anything, and I really think it's only purpose is to extend the series for 2 more issues. I really don't know what else it could be. It kind of reminds me of that thing that Image Comics did that one year. Remember? No matter what issue a series was on, they had them do an issue #25. It was supposed to show the future of the team, or certain character. Then they went back to the normal issue number, and when they did finally reach #25, that book was supposed to fit in as if it had been there all along. The difference here though is . . this is the end of the series. So we'll never really know if this is the future intended for them or not. Marc Andreyko wrote it. I just wasn't really that impressed and I failed to see the point of it all. We had a couple different artists on this issue . . Michael Gaydos, Dennis Calero and Fernando Blanco. But again . . I don't really see the point. It's the final issue. Books can go out with a bang . . or a whimper. I guess this one decided on the whimper. To bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment