Saturday, January 24, 2009

Wolverine - Manifest Destiny #3 - Marvel


I like this book. I think that Jason Aaron is doing a pretty good job with the story. The best part about it, I think though, is Stephen Segovia & Paco Diaz Luque's incredible art. The whole issue really has a neat feel to it. Really, I only have one complaint about this issue. For some reason, when I picked it up and started reading it, a lot of the conversations . . between Logan and the 'bad-guys' and Logan and his new sensei . . just seemed a little forced to me. Do you remember the old comics of the 70's? Everyone used to make fun of them because of the 'comic-book' dialogue? Well, when I first starting reading this issue . . that's how it kind of felt to me. A little forced, and predictable, and . . I guess, kind of like a bad Japanese movie. Maybe that's the idea . . considering that the entire story takes place in Chinatown. But . . it just felt a little 'off' to me. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it. It'll be interesting to see just how Logan gets himself out of this hole that he seems to have jumped in to. Especially with so much of the local community, who could help him and would definitely benefit from his endeavor . . . being so harshly against him. They just can't forgive him for what happened 50 years ago. I don't necessarily think that the fight he needs to win is with the Black Dragon tong, but rather with this community as a whole. And that's a fight he can't win with his claws or his rage. This is a great mini-series and a fantastic Wolverine story. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all washes out next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment