Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ultimate Hulk Annual #1 - Marvel


I'm not sure what I expected with this book, but . . . this sure wasn't it. Jeph Loeb wrote it. I guess I was kind of expecting it to be pretty close to his Hulk stories, but . . it was decidedly different. It fit in perfectly with the theme of the Ultimate Universe. It was different . . skewed a bit . . and had some moments that actually made me laugh out loud. Zarda was hilarious. Scary, but . . funny. She starts off by coming across the path of the Wrecking Crew. They come at her pretty hard, but really . . she's almost a god. So . . they really didn't have much of a chance. But then once beaten, she's ready to deliver the killing blow. Luckily Captain America comes along and stops her. He offers her a challenge, "Travel across this great country. Listen to her people. See if you can come down off that high horse and experience what there is to offer. And for god's sake, try not to kill anyone." So she travels and comes across the Hulk in Kansas. Actually, she's in a diner eating and he shows up . . naked . . demanding pancakes. She tries to talk him down and of course they end up in the atypical super-hero smack-down. She wants to live up to Cap's words so . . after she takes him down, she dresses him, and then takes him for some food. "Hulk, I must admit that our battle was amusing. Mildly. It was . . . as you said 'fun', something I had yet to experience on this mudball. I will have to return to the Ultimates soon enough . . . is there anything else you would like to do with me?" The Hulk looks at her with this sly, devious grin on his face. The next thing you know . . we see the outside of a cheap hotel and their clothes are strewn all over the floor. "Hulk turns light off. Mmmmmm . . . Hulk like Zarda . . . !" I guess aggression really is the ultimate aphrodisiac. I thought it was a fantastic book that was made even better because the first half was illustrated by Ed McGuiness, and Marko Djurdjevic did the final pages. All in all, it was very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment